Dentists these days can perform many procedures to increase the appearance of the smile that includes subtle changes to major repairs. Dentistry used to be just about filling and taking out teeth, but over the time the dental advancements have brought us cosmetic dentistry. Many people are choosing this form of dentistry to have a confident looking and beautiful smile.
Cosmetic surgery targets in improving the aesthetic appearance just like a new hairstyle. General or restorative dentistry focuses simply on the treatment that is required whereas cosmetic dentistry focuses on the treatment that is desired y the patient. Cosmetic dentistry is also a part of restorative dentistry as it provides the benefits of aesthetically pleasing restorations.
What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is considered as the form of dental work that focuses on improving the appearance of the gums, teeth, and bite. The color, shape, position, size, alignment along with the entire appearance of the smile. Cosmetic dentistry is more about art then it is about science. It is not a recognized branch of dentistry by the American Dental Association and yet requires years of training as well as experience to perform the procedures with the best results.
There are some dentists who without any experience, training or specific education call themselves as cosmetic dentists. A good cosmetic dentist not only requires a thorough knowledge of the dental anatomy of the teeth and about all the dental materials but should also have a good eye. Cosmetic Dentistry primarily focuses on procedures in two fields:
Services offered by Cosmetic Dentistry
Some services simply focus on improving the aesthetics whereas the other procedures help in restoring the function and maintaining the oral health. Some of the procedures under cosmetic dentistry include:
- Teeth whitening: It is one of the most inexpensive ways that brightens up the teeth and hence the smile. Teeth whitening can be done in the dentist’s office as well as at your own home. There are many alternatives for teeth whitening to choose from.
- Composite bonding: In case of chipped and cracked teeth the appearance is improved with the application of the tooth-colored composite resin. A very little preparation by drilling is done before the application of the resin.
- Porcelain and composite veneers: They are tooth-colored materials that are applied as a thin layer and is used as a substitute for the enamel of the tooth.
- Crowns: In teeth where the structure has heavily damaged the crown is replaced with an artificial porcelain crown that resembles the natural appearance of the teeth.
- Porcelain bridges: If there is a presence of space formed due to loss of tooth which is causing the unaesthetic appearance of a mile, it can be replaced with the bridgework that is attached to the original teeth on either side of the space.
- Dental implants: Titanium made implants are used to replace the roots in the case of a missing tooth. The crown portion is replaced by a tooth-colored crown that restores the appearance and the functions of the tooth.
- Inlays and Onlays: It is used in cases where the teeth are chipped, decayed or cracked. It is the choice of treatment in cases where fillings are not enough to fill the decay and crowns would be too invasive. The fillings are custom fabricated in the laboratories using either composite or porcelain.
- Tooth-colored fillings: The choice of material for filling used to be amalgam in the early days which was highly unaesthetic. These days tooth-colored fillings have made the fillings barely noticeable.
- Clear orthodontic aligners: Clear aligners are preferred over the traditional braces by most people these days for a more aesthetic appearance.
- Cosmetic gum surgery: It is also known as gum lift and is done to raise and sculpt the gums. It gives the gums a more leveled and pleasing appearance.
- Contouring and shaping of reshaping: The surface of the tooth can be reshaped with the help of either a drill or laser.
- Tooth jewelry: It is a form of cosmetic procedure that involves sticking of small jewels on the surface of teeth using dental cement. It usually leads to the decay of teeth as the surface around the teeth is not cleaned properly.
Related Article: Composite Tooth Colored Fillings Pros And Cons
Dr. Pushpa Sachdeva, the Best Dentist In Nairobi, recommends that if your smile makes you conscious and lowers your self-esteem, consult your dentist today and know about your suitable treatment options in cosmetic dentistry.