We brush and floss our teeth on daily routine just to keep them healthy and white. But, why is it that every day your teeth are getting discolored and losing their sparkle. Well, don’t worry. You are not alone. According to American Association of Orthodontists, 90% of the patients had teeth whitening treatment, which restores the natural tooth color and make it brighter, in order to get a perfect smile.
We know that yellow and discolored teeth make a person lose its confidence and also give a bad impression. People associate yellow teeth with poor oral hygiene and they avoid talking to the person who has this problem. So if you are thinking about getting teeth whitening treatment there are certain things that you should know about it.
Reasons for Tooth Discoloration
With the passage of time, your teeth will get stained and discolored and there are many reasons.
- Certain foods such as cola, coffee, tea and red wine cause your teeth to discolor.
- Extensive use of tobacco creates stains on your teeth. It possesses tar and nicotine that turns your teeth into yellowish and brownish color.
- Age is also one of the major factors that cause your teeth to turn yellow. The reason for this is that with age your outer enamel layers get thinner with brushing and yellowish dentin shows.
- If you had an accident and have been hit in the mouth the injury will react to it and your teeth will become darker.
- If the dental plaque is not treated, it will stain your teeth with time which will turn in yellow color.
- Chewing betel also changes the color of your teeth.
- Several medications like antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure tablets and antibiotics and chemotherapy cause the discoloration of your teeth.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
- Teeth whitening will regain your confidence which you have lost because of the discolored teeth.
- It will make you feel and look younger.
- It will help you in making a first good impression during job interviews.
- It is a cost-effective process and will show you the positive results immediately.
- Increased sensitivity of your teeth is one of the major side effects of using tooth bleaching for whitening. This sensitivity will end once you stop bleaching.
- Burning and irritation is another side effect which is caused due to the hydrogen peroxide used in bleaching.
- It is likely that you get uneven results after bleaching which will get even if you avoid drinking and consuming foods that cause a stain on your teeth.
- Extensive use of bleaching treatments will cause damage to the tooth enamel, which will become rougher with time and it becomes more susceptible to discoloration.
- A person becomes obsessive with this bleaching treatment and develops symptoms of bleachorexia. It means that an individual will get more whitening treatments to make their teeth brighter, which in reality are but they are not satisfied.
- Hydrogen peroxide and intracoronal acts as a tumor promoter and cause cervical root respiration. It also causes your dental crown to get the fracture.
There are three ways to whitening but it is always recommended to consult your doctor first when starting the procedure.
There are many types of whitening toothpaste available in the market that helps in removing the stains on your teeth. These kinds of toothpaste contain special chemicals that help in this, but remember they will not make your teeth brighter because they are meant for removing stains only.
In this process, the dentist will apply the protective gel or rubber shield before applying bleaching to protect your gums. For this, you have to visit the dental office just once and you are done.
This usually includes gel or whitening strips that stick to the teeth. Although these may not be as effective then what the dentist will use, it is still high in demand.
Moreover, in order to maintain your bright smile for years then you should maintain your teeth by brushing and rinsing your mouth after each meal, do flossing, and use whitening toothpaste twice a week. It is always recommended to consult with your dentists and discuss the options related to teeth whitening treatment. Your dentist will better guide you through this process.
A Vero Beach Dentist, Dr. Alex Planes recommends getting professional tooth whitening treatment to get faster results than relying on the counter teeth whitening treatments.