Some lucky people are born with a set of perfect looking teeth. Others can achieve the same by undertaking the orthodontic treatment which has known to make a big difference. It changes the smile entirely and has known to increase the self-confidence of many people. Your dentist will offer a different type of orthodontic treatments depending on the condition of your teeth.
What is an orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry which specializes in the correct alignment of the teeth along with the jaws to improve the appearance of the smile and the oral health. In some cases, the teeth are not crooked, and yet the upper and lower teeth do not meet adequately. In such cases, orthodontic treatment is used to correct the malocclusion or the incorrect bite. While in most cases the misaligned teeth are a result of harmful oral habits like thumb sucking but in some people, it is a result of some injury or premature loss of the tooth.
Not only do crooked teeth make the person self-conscious amongst their friends and colleagues but it also makes it difficult to maintain the oral hygiene. Not correcting the misaligned teeth can lead to many other problems like:
- Severe decay of tooth
- Gum diseases
- Loss of tooth
- Difficulties in speech or in chewing
- Abnormal wearing the tooth enamel
- Issues in the jaw
metal braces, Dr. Roman Fedorciw recommends you an orthodontic treatment if you have a smile that makes you conscious or if your teeth are misaligned. You can have a rejuvenated smile after the procedure and can have straight, aligned teeth. Your orthodontist can straighten your teeth in many ways depending upon the alignment of your teeth and your preference. The most common form of treatment is the braces. The different types of braces you can choose from are:
- Traditional or metal braces: These are the most common and the oldest form of braces used. Anyone who hears the word braces first pictures the metal ones. These braces consist of metal brackets that are cemented onto the front side of the teeth using various dental materials. They hold together an archwire which helps the teeth move into the correct position. Metal braces have a disadvantage of being very noticeable and can cause injuries to the oral structures. The brackets and wires make it difficult to clean them. They are mostly preferred by people as they are the least expensive option.
- Ceramic braces: They are very similar to the traditional braces. They are made to match the color of the tooth and is thus less noticeable as compared to the metal ones. They are more expensive as compared to the metal braces and are very prone to breaking.
- Lingual braces: These braces are also made of metal and consist of brackets and archwires but are fixed on the lingual or inner side of the tooth. Although they are not readily visible, they have the drawback of being very expensive and difficult to clean.
- Invisalign: They are also known as clear aligners and are the most aesthetically pleasing.
What is an Invisalign?
Invisalign that are also known clear aligners are a type of braces alternative to the traditional metal ones that are used to align the crooked teeth into their correct position. They have a similar function to the metal braces but work without the brackets and the wires. These aligners are custom made for each patient and are manufactured using a durable material of plastic.
The orthodontist or the dentist will recommend you to wear these aligners for at least 20 hours per day which gives useful results. The duration of the treatment of Invisalign depends upon the severity of the case. These aligners can only be used in mild cases.
Here are some advantages of aligners which makes it a preferable option than the other braces:
- Visibility: The primary benefit of these aligners are the invisible appearance. Most people like to conceal the fact that they are taking an orthodontic treatment and clear aligners are the best option for that. These aligners straighten the teeth while being aesthetically pleasing.
- Removability: These braces are removable which gives the patients the benefit of eating and chewing with ease.
- Health benefits: Maintaining the oral hygiene is also easy as the patients are permitted to brush and floss their teeth freely.
Important Article: What Are Mouth Guards?
It is always essential to maintain a proper diet and oral hygiene along with an orthodontic treatment to avoid decay or loss of the tooth. If your smile makes you conscious and less confident, visit your dentist today and gift yourself a set of beautiful and healthy teeth.