An optometrist is a health care professional qualified to examine the eyes for defects and faults of refraction. He diagnoses any disease in the eye and thus refers treatments by prescribing correctional lenses and eye exercises.
An eye-care expert always recommends that people should undergo a comprehensive eye exam every one to two years, depending on age and physical condition. An eye exam can also reveal the earliest clues to the presence of body ailments. For example, one of the initial signs of diabetes is the leaking of fragile blood vessels in the retina. The wide variety of services that can be provided by an expert optometrist includes:
- Detect general health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, sickle cell anemia, thyroid, etc.
- Diagnose and treat eye disease such glaucoma, cataract, etc.
- Examine eye for health and vision problems, which makes it possible to detect any disorders, monitor their evolution and assess eye health.
- Prescribes glasses, corrective lenses and other devices for improving the quality of vision.
- Evaluates of color vision, visual field, eye motility and light adaptation.
- Intensifies assistance on reducing the prevalence of avoidable visual impairment and other eye diseases.
Along with screening for eye defects, an examination allows the eye doctor to check on the stability of the lens and take possible actions if the eye condition is deteriorating at an abnormal rate. An optometrist can also provide expert advice on:
- Occupational eye safety and specialized vision requirements for hazardous workplace such as factories and laboratories or computer work etc.
- General eye and vision protection.
- Aftercare for contact lens use.
- Evaluate eye coordination of students, pilots, athletes and provide therapy to improve vision performance.
- High success rate to improve and enhance vision.
- Perfect vision opens up new career opportunities and activities. Careers such as Air Force and Navy need candidates with proper vision.
- It is conceivable to eliminate the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses or reduce the vision correction prescription.
- Adjustment can be made to correct any vision changes due to aging and often, at almost no cost.
- Have remedies for the blurriness, inabilities to figure out the exact form or shape of some images or letters without affecting the acuity in vision.
There are some side effects. These problems, although rare, may include:
- There can be night vision issues, although uncommon but the patient may experience a problem in low lit condition or find it difficult to drive at night.
- Dry eyes, red spots in the eyes, bruises and subconjunctival hemorrhages are some of the potential side effects.
- Changes made in the cornea are irreversible. Therefore it is advisable and essential to go to a skilled optometrist.
- There could be a longer healing time for some patient after the corrective procedures, and that can be troubling.
- Choosing an expert eye doctor and a suitable clinic is very important, as complications are primarily related to suitability.
Eyes are one of the most significant components of the body. Considering that this is so, it becomes extraordinarily essential to go for annual eye examination for someone who worries about their well-being – both the visual part and the medical part.
We recommend visiting Lafayette Optometrist, Dr. Durocher of OPMT (Optometric Physicians of Middle Tennessee). Checking your eyes every year is not merely about your vision, it can very well assess your overall health.
Dr. Durocher can evaluate your visual acuity and can detect any early signs of other serious health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure and risk of stroke due to the appearance of the delicate blood vessels in the retina.
The optical nerve at the back of the eye is an extension of the neurological system, a highly qualified optometrist as Dr. Durocher can detect and warn you of some neurological diseases at its earliest stages such as optic neuritis, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, and even aneurysms.
He is faithful to his work and tries to fill the heart of every patient with hope. He is continuously available for his patients and never let them fight against the diseases, defects or discomfort alone. His professional wisdom, total commitment, attitude towards his patients have made him the most appreciated Eye Doctor in Lafayette.
He is committed to fostering a better life for everyone. Your eyes that are your windows to the world are also the windows into your body. So take good care of your eyes and visit the best Optometrist in Lafayette, Dr. Durocher now!