The Basics Of Dental Care

Regular Dental Care At Home

When you are at home, there are things you can do in and around your visits to your Rockville Dentist.

For starters, make sure you are brushing the right way. Brush for two minutes at a time, twice per day. Make sure the toothbrush you are using is the right size for your mouth. In addition to brushing, make sure your flossing. Most adults do not floss but, brushing your teeth only reaches about 60% of your tooth surface. Without flossing, you are leaving the other 40% susceptible to plaque and bacteria build up.

Maintain Your Dental Health
How To Brush Your Teeth?

Other things you can do to take care of your teeth at home is to change your diet. Be cognizant of what foods and drinks you are consuming. High levels of sugar are found in many snack foods and beverages. We often think of processed sugar as only existing in things like candy bars or soda, but it is found almost everywhere.

Start reading nutrition labels, and you will learn that added sugars exist in things like spaghetti sauce, canned soup or beans, and more. But it’s not just sugar you have to be aware of in your diet. High levels of acid contained in things like chips and crackers, heavy starches found in processed pasta or snack foods can remain on your teeth for a long period and activate acid production in your mouth, increasing your chances of cavities. By alleviating sugar-filled sodas, fruit juices, and highly acidic or sugary foods, you will do your teeth a favor.

Dental Care On The Go

When you are on the road, at work, or on vacation, it is important to care for your teeth as you would at home. Have a spare toothbrush designed to fit your mouth at the office or in your car. Keep one in your suitcase so that you travel on business or vacation have a good toothbrush with you. Keep a travel sized container all fluoride toothpaste and floss with you as well.

If you do not have time to brush your teeth after a sugary snack at the office, consider chewing on a piece of sugarless gum. Naturally, sugar-free gum is not a substitute for brushing your teeth but chewing on the gum can activate your saliva production. Saliva is what helps wash away the bacteria that otherwise convert into plaque and acid in your mouth. If you don’t wash this away, it will be to cavities. We don’t always have a chance to brush our teeth we are in the middle of a big meeting. But chewing on this is a decent stopgap.

When To See Your Rockville Dentist

Most adults do not visit the dentist as frequently as they should. It is quite common for adults to skip their dental checkups and cleanings out of fear, anxiety, or simply thinking that if they don’t have pain, then there is no reason to go. Much like a health checkup, a dental checkup is something you should do regardless of whether you are having dental problems. Cavities for example, typically do not cause pain until they had become severe. Your dentist, however, can recognize a cavity in the early stages and give you a filling before it gets any worse.

When You Should Visit To Rockville Dentist?
Regular Dental Checkups
  1. Biannual Visits

You should visit your dentist twice per year to have cleanings, checkups, and x-rays. This is all important to long-term dental health. Just the same way as you visit your doctor regularly, you should visit your dentist regularly. Most of the time all rudimentary dental insurance covers these two annual visits.

  1. Unexpected Sensitivity

If you have a sharp pain or discomfort in one tooth or unexpectedly high levels of tooth sensitivity you should book an appointment to see your dentist. This type of pain can be caused by simple things like cold wind blowing on your teeth, pregnancy, or enameled version. But, it can also be a symptom of something more severe like tooth decay or gum disease. You should visit your dentist as soon as your experience unexpected pain or discomfort especially if that pain is only in one tooth. Singular tooth pain is typically indicative of a cracked tooth. The longer you leave a cracked tooth open, the longer it is susceptible to bacteria and infection.

Leave a Reply